S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Laboratory Medicine (검사의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_검사의학전공)
Antituberculosis medication as a possible epigenetic factor of Leber`s hereditary optic neuropathy
- Seo, Je Hyun; Hwang, Jeong-Min; Park, Sung Sup
- Issue Date
- WILEY-BLACKWELL PUBLISHING, INC
- CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL OPHTHALMOLOGY; Vol.38 4; 363-366
- Purpose: To investigate if antituberculosis medication including ethambutol could be a possible epigenetic factor in visual loss in Leber`s hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON). Methods: The authors reviewed the medical records of 46 patients registered at Bundang Seoul National University Hospital from 2002 to 2006, who developed the typical clinical neuro-ophthalmologic features of LHON and possessed a mtDNA mutation at nucleotide 11778, 14484, 3460 or 4171. Results: Three of the 46 patients developed visual loss while taking antituberculosis medication. These three patients had the mtDNA 11778 mutation with a mean age of 32.7 years at the onset of visual loss, whereas the mean age of other 43 patients was 21.2 years. One of these three patients was female. Conclusion: Antituberculosis medication may be an epigenetic factor of LHON in patients with a primary LHON mutation. This risk should be recognized by physicians and LHON carriers.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.