S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
An evaluation of Web-based education as an alternative to group lectures for diabetes self-management
- Song, Misoon; Choe, Myoung-Ae; Kim, Keum Soon; Yi, Myung Sun; Kim, Jeongeun; Cho, Young Min; Shim, Young Suk; Lee, Mira; Lee, Insook
- Issue Date
- WILEY-BLACKWELL PUBLISHING, INC
- NURSING & HEALTH SCIENCES; Vol.11 3; 277-284
- This study evaluated the efficacy of Web-based diabetes self-management education for newly diagnosed patients with type II diabetes as an alternative to group lectures. Using a non-equivalent control group, pretest-post-test design, the participants in the Web group (n = 15) took part in a Web-based diabetes self-management program, while those in the lecture group (n = 16) attended 3 h of group lectures provided by health-care professionals specializing in diabetes care. The outcome variables were measured at the baseline (T0), and 6 weeks (T1) and 3 months (T2) after the interventions. The glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) percentage and diabetes care knowledge in the Web group improved significantly from T0 to T1, while the diabetes care behavior improved significantly from T0 to T1 and from T1 to T2. The diabetes care knowledge and diabetes care behavior in the lecture group improved significantly from T0 to T1, but the HbA1c percentage did not change significantly between any times. These results show the potential of the Web-based program as an alternative to group lectures for diabetes self-management education.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.