S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Clinical Spectrum of Reflux Esophagitis Among 25,536 Koreans Who Underwent a Health Check-up A Nationwide Multicenter Prospective, Endoscopy-based Study
- Shim, Ki-Nam; Hong, Su Jin; Sung, Jae Kyu; Park, Kyung Sik; Park, Hyun-Shin; Lim, Seon Hee; Park, Min Jung; Cho, Kyung Ran; Park, Seun Ja; Kim, Nayoung; Kim, Jae J.; Kim, Jae Gyu; Lee, Yong Chan; Jung, Hwoon-Yong; Song, Geun Am; Park, Joon Yong; Kim, Jim Il; Jee, Sam-Ryong; Chung, In-Sik; Jung, Hyun Chae; Park, Soo-Heon; Kim, Donghee; Kim, Jeong Yoon; Kim, Chung Hyeon; Kim, Young Sun; Kim, Seong-Eun
- Issue Date
- LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS
- JOURNAL OF CLINICAL GASTROENTEROLOGY; Vol.43 7; 632-638
- Background: Gastroesophageal reflux is a commonly encountered condition, but detailed data on reflux symptoms in Asian countries are lacking. Goals: To evaluate the prevalence and to document the clinical spectrum of endoscopic reflux esophagitis (RE). Study: A total 25,536 subjects underwent an upper gastrointestinal endoscopic examination as part of a health check, and completed a gastroesophageal reflux questionnaire. Endoscopic findings classified according to the Los Angeles (LA) classification and the data from gastroesophageal reflux questionnaire were analyzed. Results: On the basis of endoscopic findings, 2019 subjects (7.91%) were found to have RE: 5.87% in LA-A; 1.84% in LA-B; 0.18% in LA-C; and 0.02% in LA-D. Heartburn. acid regurgitation, chest pain, hoarseness, globus sensation. Cough, and epigastric soreness were found to be associated with RE (P < 0.05). Heartburn. acid regurgitation, and epigastric soreness were more frequent in LA-B than in LA-A (P < 0.05). Epigastric soreness was most bothersome in LA-A and LA-B, and acid regurgitation was most bothersome in LA-C and LA-D (P<0.01). Heartburn. hoarseness, and globus sensation were more frequent in men with RE, and acid regurgitation was most common in women. Conclusions: The prevalence of RE was found to be 7.91% in Korea, and the Profiles of reflux symptoms were found to depend on grade of RE and sex.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.