S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
Age estimation of Korean adults by occlusal tooth wear
- Yun, Jong-Il; Lee, Jeong-Yun; Chung, Jin-Woo; Kho, Hong-Seop; Kim, Young-Ku
- Issue Date
- BLACKWELL PUBLISHING
- JOURNAL OF FORENSIC SCIENCES, Vol.52, No.3, pp.678-683
- forensic science; occlusal tooth wear; scoring system; age estimation; forensic odontology; forensic anthropology
- The aim of the present study was to evaluate the validity of the modified Kim`s scoring system as a practical method of recording occlusal tooth wear and estimating age. For this purpose, 1092 pairs of maxillary and mandibular full-arch casts were randomly selected, scored, and analyzed. The results showed that the modified Kim`s scoring system had excellent reliability, and that occlusal tooth wear had a positive correlation with age. Tooth wear scores of all teeth except the two lower central incisors were higher in males than in females. Calculating tables for age estimation were designed by multiple linear regression analysis. Estimated ages were within +/- 5 years of actual ages in 63.5% of male subjects, and 64.0% of female subjects. The accuracy of age estimation was increased when the subjects were divided into two age groups and data were re-analyzed. Collectively, it was shown that the modified Kim`s scoring system is a reliable and accurate method for age estimation, and that the data from these 1092 individuals can be used as a standard for age estimation of Korean adults.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.