S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Medicine (의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_의학과)
Fabrication and Evaluation of Osteoblastic Differentiation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells on Novel CaO-SiO2-P2O5-B2O3 Glass-Ceramics
- Lee, Jae Hyup; Seo, Jun-Hyuk; Lee, Kyung Mee; Ryu, Hyun-Seung; Baek, Hae-Ri
- Issue Date
- Artificial Organs Vol.37 No.7, pp. 637-647
- 복합학; CaO-SiO2-P2O5-B2O3 glass-ceramics; Osteoblastic differentiation; Osteoconductivity; Bone graft extender
- Apatite-wollastonite glass-ceramics have high mechanical strength, and CaO-SiO2-B2O3 glass-ceramics showed excellent bioactivity and high biodegradability. A new type of CaO-SiO2-P2O5-B2O3 system of bioactive glass-ceramics (BGS-7) was fabricated, and the effect and usefulness was evaluated via bioactivity using simulated body fluid and human mesenchymal stem cells (hMSCs). The purpose of this study was to compare BGS-7 and hydroxyapatite (HA) using hMSCs in order to evaluate the bioactivity of BGS-7 and its possibility as a bone graft extender. Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) staining, ALP activity, cell proliferation 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-5-(3carboxymethoxyphenyl)-2-(4-sulfophenyl)-2H-tetrazolium, inner salt (MTS) assay, Alizarin Red-S (AR-S) staining, calcium levels, the mRNA expression of ALP, osteocalcin, osteopontin, and runt-related transcription factor 2 (runx-2) using reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and the protein expression of osteocalcin and runx-2 using Western blot were measured by transplanting hMSC onto a tissue culture plate, HA, and BGS-7. The ALP staining and AR-S staining of BGS-7 was greater than that of HA and control. The ALP value of BGS-7 was significantly higher than that of HA and control. The MTS results showed that BGS-7 had a higher value than the groups transplanted onto HA and control on day 15. The calcium level was higher than the control in both HA and BGS-7, and was especially high in BGS-7. There were more mineral products on BGS-7 than on the HA when analyzed by scanning electron microscopy. The mRNA expression of ALP, osteopontin, osteocalcin, and runx-2 were higher on BGS-7 than on HA and the control when analyzed by RT-PCR. The relative gene expression of osteopontin and runx-2 were found to be higher on BGS-7 than on HA and the control by Western blot. Accordingly, it is predicted that BGS-7 would have high biocompatibility and good osteoconductivity, and presents a possibility as a new bone graft extender.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.