S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Otorhinolaryngology (이비인후과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_이비인후과학전공)
Effects of dexamethasone on the expression of transforming growth factor-beta in the mouse model of allergic rhinitis
- Lee, Seung-Sin; Won, Tae-Bin; Kim, Jeong-Whun; Rhee, Chae-Seo; Lee, Chul-Hee; Hong, Seok-Chan; Min, Yang-Gi
- Issue Date
- Laryngoscope 2007;117:1323-1328
- Allergy; dexamethasone; TGF-; CD4 T cell; regulatory T cell; Glucocorticoids/*therapeutic use; Immunoglobulin E/metabolism; Immunohistochemistry; Leukocyte Count; Mice, Inbred BALB C; Nasal Mucosa/immunology/metabolism/pathology; Ovalbumin/toxicity; Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction; Transforming Growth Factor beta/*genetics/metabolism
- OBJECTIVES/HYPOTHESIS: This study aimed to evaluate the effect of dexamethasone on the expression of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta in the mouse model of allergic rhinitis. STUDY DESIGN: Female BALB/c mice were randomly assigned to four groups, including two control groups and two treatment groups. METHODS: General sensitization and local challenge were performed with ovalbumin (OVA). In the treatment groups, dexamethasone was injected intraperitoneally 3 hours before general sensitization or local challenge. Symptom score, eosinophil infiltration, and immunostaining for TGF-beta1 and CD4 in nasal mucosa, and TGF-beta1 and OVA-specific immunoglobulin E (IgE) in sera were analyzed. RESULTS: Dexamethasone administration before general sensitization reduced the symptom score, OVA-specific IgE, and eosinophil infiltration and increased the serum level of TGF-beta1 significantly. Dexamethasone administration before local challenge reduced only the eosinophil infiltration significantly. Immunoreactivity of TGF-beta1 and CD4 was lower in both treatment groups. CONCLUSION: These results suggest that dexamethasone may play an important role in the regulation of allergic reactions by at least two mechanisms; one by suppressing allergic sensitization through decrease of CD4+ T cells and increase of TGF-beta, and the other by suppressing late allergic reactions through the inhibition of proliferation and chemotaxis of inflammatory cells such as eosinophils.
- 0023-852X (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.