S-Space College of Business Administration/Business School (경영대학/대학원) Graduate School of Business (경영전문대학원) Journal Papers (저널논문_경영전문대학원)
Dynamic Capabilities at Samsung
- Song, Jaeyong; Lee, Kyungmook; Khanna, Tarun
- Issue Date
- UNIV CALIF
- CALIFORNIA MANAGEMENT REVIEW, Vol.58 No.4, pp. 118-140
- Dynamic Capabilities at Samsung; 사회과학; Dynamic Capabilities; Internal Co-opetition; Dual Sourcing; Parallel Development; Competitive Advantage; Business Group; Technological Innovation; Creative Collaboration
- This article presents a clinical study, based on a decade of ongoing research at Samsung Group, that describes how the Samsung Group and its mobile phone division competed successfully in smartphones. The ability to manage co-opetition—simultaneous forces of competition and cooperation within the business group—is a particular dimension of dynamic capability that has stood Samsung in excellent stead. Relying on internal exhortations to cooperate often leads to a lack of dynamism, whereas untrammeled competition leaves proverbial synergies entirely untapped and spawns duplicative investments. Samsung, however, has succeeded by its ability to strike a balance between the two.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.