S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Clinical significance of elevated level of serum antithyroglobulin antibody in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer after thyroid ablation
- Chung, J-K; Park, Y J; Kim, T Y; So, Y; Kim, S-K; Park, D J; Lee, D S; Lee, M C; Cho, B Y
- Issue Date
- Blackwell Publishing
- Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2002 Aug;57(2):215-21.
- Adolescent; Adult; Autoantibodies/*blood; Combined Modality Therapy; Female; Follow-Up Studies; Humans; Immunoradiometric Assay; Iodine Radioisotopes/therapeutic use; Male; Middle Aged; Neoplasm Recurrence, Local/*diagnosis; Prognosis; Thyroglobulin/*immunology; Thyroid Neoplasms/*blood/radiotherapy/surgery; Thyroidectomy; Tumor Markers, Biological/*blood
- OBJECTIVE: This study was designed to investigate whether an elevated serum antithyroglobulin antibody (TgAb) reflects cancer recurrence in thyroglobulin (Tg)-undetectable patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma (DTC) after thyroid ablation. DESIGN: We measured serum TgAb level and evaluated the disease status in 226 DTC patients who had undergone remnant ablation and showed an undetectable Tg result as assessed by immunoradiometric assay. MEASUREMENTS: Radioligand assay of TgAb was performed. Recurrence was assessed by 131I scan, 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography, sonography, computed tomography, or by surgical operation. RESULTS: Fifty-one patients (22.6%) of the Tg-undetectable patients showed positive TgAb, and 25 (49.0%) of these were confirmed with recurrence. The recurrence rate of TgAb-positive patients was higher than that of TgAb-negative patients (3.4%; P < 0.0001). During follow-up, 73.1% of the disease-free patients showed spontaneously decreased TgAb levels. A total of 71.4% of patients with recurrent cancer, who showed responses to surgical operation or radio-iodine treatment, also showed a decreased TgAb level. CONCLUSIONS: Persistently elevated TgAb levels appear to serve as a useful marker for recurrent or persistent DTC in patients with undetectable serum Tg results. Thus, the routine measurement of TgAb in such patient populations may be indicated.
- 0300-0664 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.