S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Surgery (외과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_외과학전공)
Hepatic resection compared to percutaneous ethanol injection for small hepatocellular carcinoma using propensity score matching
- Cho, Yong Beom; Lee, Kuhn Uk; Suh, Kyung-Suk; Kim, Yoon Jun; Yoon, Jung-Hwan; Lee, Hyo-Suk; Hahn, Seokyung; Park, Byung-Joo
- Issue Date
- Blackwell Publishing
- J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007 Oct;22(10):1643-9.
- Carcinoma, Hepatocellular/*drug therapy/*surgery; Case-Control Studies; Chi-Square Distribution; Ethanol/*administration & dosage; Female; Hepatectomy; Humans; Injections, Intralesional; Liver Neoplasms/*drug therapy/*surgery; Male; Middle Aged; Neoplasm Recurrence, Local; Proportional Hazards Models; Survival Analysis; Treatment Outcome
- BACKGROUND: Several surgical and non-surgical therapeutic modalities have been used for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). There have been several studies comparing hepatic resection (HR) and percutaneous ethanol injection (PEI) for the treatment of HCC. However, there is still disagreement about the best treatment modality. METHODS: From 130 patients undergoing HR, 116 patients were individually matched to 116 controls from 249 patients undergoing PEI using propensity score matching to overcome possible biases in non-randomized study. Survival analyses were undertaken to compare these propensity score-matched groups. RESULTS: After matching by propensity score, the major clinical outcomes in the HR (n = 116) and the PEI (n = 116) groups were found to be similar. The 1-, 3- and 5-year overall survival rates were higher in the HR group (94.8%, 76.5% and 65.6%) compared to the PEI group (95.7%, 73.5% and 49.3%) (P = 0.059). The cumulative 1-, 3- and 5-year disease-free survival rates showed the same trend (HR: 76.1%, 50.6% and 40.6%; PEI: 62.6%, 25.5% and 19.1%) (P < 0.001). However, when stratified by Child-Pugh classification, it was no longer the case in the Child B patients. Single intrahepatic recurrence was the most common pattern of tumor recurrence after both treatments. CONCLUSIONS: Patients undergoing HR had a better survival profile than those undergoing PEI. However, when considering which technique to use for optimal HCC management, the individual patient's hepatic function must be considered.
- 0815-9319 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.