S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Ophthalmology (안과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_안과학전공)
Profiling of vitreous proteomes from proliferative diabetic retinopathy and nondiabetic patients
- Kim, Taeoh; Kim, Sang Jin; Kim, Kyunggon; Kang, Un-Beom; Lee, Cheolju; Park, Kyong Soo; Yu, Hyeong Gon; Kim, Youngsoo
- Issue Date
- Proteomics. 2007 Nov;7(22):4203-15.
- Adult; Aged; Chromatography, Liquid/methods; Diabetic Retinopathy/*metabolism; Electrophoresis, Gel, Two-Dimensional/methods; Electrophoresis, Polyacrylamide Gel; Eye Proteins/*analysis; Humans; Middle Aged; *Proteomics; Spectrometry, Mass, Electrospray Ionization/methods; Spectrometry, Mass, Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption-Ionization/methods; Tandem Mass Spectrometry/methods; Vitreous Body/chemistry/*metabolism
- Diabetes can lead to serious microvascular complications like proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR), which is the leading cause of blindness in adults. The proteomic changes that occur during PDR cannot be measured in the human retina for ethical reasons, but could be reflected by proteomic changes in vitreous humor. Thus, we considered that comparisons between the proteome profiles of the vitreous humors of PDR and nondiabetic controls could lead to the discovery of novel pathogenic proteins and clinical biomarkers. In this study, the authors used several proteomic methods to comprehensively examine vitreous humor proteomes of PDR patients and nondiabetic controls. These methods included immunoaffinity subtraction (IS)/2-DE/MALDI-MS, nano-LC-MALDI-MS/MS, and nano-LC-ESI-MS/MS. The identified proteins were subjected to the Trans-Proteomic Pipeline validation process. Resultantly, 531 proteins were identified, i.e., 415 and 346 proteins were identified in PDR and nondiabetic control vitreous humor samples, respectively, and of these 531 proteins, 240 were identified for the first time in this study. The PDR vitreous proteome was also found to contain many proteins possibly involved in the pathogenesis of PDR. The proteins described provide the most comprehensive proteome listing in the vitreous humor samples of PDR and nondiabetic control patients.
- 1615-9853 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.