S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Ultra-large-scale syntheses of monodisperse nanocrystals
- Park, Jongnam; An, Kwang Jin; Hwang, Yo Sun; Park, Je-Geun; Noh, Han-Jin; Kim, Jae-Young; Park, Jae-Hoon; Hwang, Nong-Moon; Hyeon, Taeghwan
- Issue Date
- Nature Materials, Vol.3 No.12, pp.891-895
- The development of nanocrystals has been intensively pursued, not only for their fundamental scientific interest, but also for many technological applications1-3. The synthesis of monodisperse nanocrystals (size variation <5%) is ofkey importance, because the properties of these nanocrystals depend strongly on their dimensions. For example, the colour sharpness of semiconductor nanocrystal-based optical devices is strongly dependent on the uniformity of the nanocrystals3-6, and monodisperse magnetic nanocrystals are critical for the next-generation multi-terabit magnetic storage media7-9. For these monodisperse nanocrystals to be used, an economical mass-production method needs to be developed. Unfortunately, however, in most syntheses reported so far, only sub-gram quantities of monodisperse nanocrystals were produced. Uniform-sized nanocrystals of CdSe (refs 10,11) and Au (refs 12,13) have been produced using colloidal chemical synthetic procedures. In addition, monodisperse magnetic nanocrystals such as Fe (refs 14,15), Co (refs 16-18), γ-Fe2O3 (refs 19,20), and Fe3O4 (refs 21,22) have been synthesized by using various synthetic methods. Here, we report on the ultra-large-scale synthesis of monodisperse nanocrystals using inexpensive and non-toxic metal salts as reactants. We were able to synthesize as much as 40 g of monodisperse nanocrystals in a single reaction, without a size-sorting process. Moreover, the particle size could be controlled simply by varying the experimental conditions. The current synthetic procedure is very general and nanocrystals of many transition metal oxides were successfully synthesized using a very similar procedure.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)