S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Immunology (면역학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_면역학전공)
Interstitial lung disease in patients with polymyositis, dermatomyositis and amyopathic dermatomyositis
- Kang, E. H.; Lee, E. B.; Shin, K. C.; Im, C. H.; Chung, D. H.; Han, S. K.; Song, Y. W.
- Issue Date
- Oxford University Press
- Rheumatology (Oxford). 2005 Oct;44(10):1282-6. Epub 2005 Jun 21.
- Adult; Dermatomyositis/complications; Disease Progression; Epidemiologic Methods; Female; Humans; Lung Diseases, Interstitial/*etiology/physiopathology/radiography; Male; Middle Aged; Polymyositis/*complications; Prognosis; Tomography, X-Ray Computed; Vital Capacity
- OBJECTIVE: To assess the prevalence, characteristics and prognostic factors of interstitial lung disease (ILD) in Korean patients with polymyositis (PM), dermatomyositis (DM) and amyopathic dermatomyositis (ADM). METHODS: We reviewed the medical records of 72 consecutive PM and DM patients, including six patients with ADM, who were seen at the Rheumatology Clinic of Seoul National University Hospital between 1984 and 2003. RESULTS: Twenty-nine PM/DM patients (40.3%) developed ILD. Anti-Jo-1 antibody and arthralgia were associated with the presence of ILD (P = 0.022 and P = 0.041, respectively), whereas dysphagia was more frequently found in patients without ILD (P = 0.041). Lung biopsies revealed diffuse alveolar damage (DAD) (n = 2), usual interstitial pneumonia (UIP) with DAD (n = 2), UIP (n = 1), and non-specific interstitial pneumonia (n = 2). Of the 29 patients, 11 (37.9%) died. The mean survival time in ILD patients was significantly shorter than in those without ILD (13.8+/-1.8 vs 19.2+/-0.9 yr, P = 0.017). Poor survival in ILD patients was associated with a Hamman-Rich-like presentation (P = 0.0000), ADM features (P = 0.0001) and an initial forced vital capacity (FVC) < or =60% (P = 0.024). CONCLUSIONS: ILD was observed in 40.3% of Korean PM/DM patients and was associated with poor survival. A Hamman-Rich-like presentation, ADM features and an initial FVC < or =60% were associated with poor survival in ILD.
- 1462-0324 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.