S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pharmacology (약리학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_약리학전공)
Effect of OATP1B1 (SLCO1B1) variant alleles on the pharmacokinetics of pitavastatin in healthy volunteers
- Chung, Jae-Yong; Cho, Joo-Youn; Yu, Kyung-Sang; Kim, Jung-Ryul; Oh, Dal-Seok; Jung, Hye-Ryung; Lim, Kyoung-Soo; Moon, Ki-Ho; Shin, Sang-Goo; Jang, In-Jin
- Issue Date
- Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2005 Oct;78(4):342-50.
- Adult; Alleles; Area Under Curve; Asian Continental Ancestry Group; Dose-Response Relationship, Drug; Genotype; Half-Life; Humans; Hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA Reductase Inhibitors/blood/*pharmacokinetics; Korea; Male; Organic Anion Transporters/*genetics; Quinolines/blood/*pharmacokinetics
- BACKGROUND: Pitavastatin is a potent, newly developed 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase inhibitor for the treatment of hyperlipidemia. We characterized the effects of organic anion transporting polypeptide 1 B 1 (OATP 1 B 1) alleles *1a, *1b, and *15 on the pharmacokinetics of pitavastatin. METHODS: Twenty-four healthy Korean volunteers who had previously participated in a pharmacokinetic study of pitavastatin (single oral dose, 1--8 mg) were further investigated. Subjects were grouped according to OATP 1 B 1 genotype. Dose-normalized area under the plasma concentration-time curve (AUC) and peak plasma concentration (C(max)) values were analyzed, because different dosages were administered to subjects, whereas the pharmacokinetics showed linear characteristics. RESULTS: Dose-normalized pitavastatin AUCs for *1b/*1b (group 1), *1a/*1a or *1a/*1b (group 2), and *1a/*15 or *1b/*15 (group 3) were 38.8+/-13.3, 54.4 +/-12.4, and 68.1+/-6.3 ng.h.mL(-1).mg(-1) (mean+/-SD), respectively, with significant differences between all 3 groups (P=.008) and between subjects carrying and those not carrying the *15 allele (P = .004). Dose-normalized pitavastatin C(max) values were 13.2+/- 3.3, 18.2+/-5.7, and 29.4+/- 9.6 ng.mL(-1).mg(-1) in groups 1, 2, and 3, respectively, and also showed significant differences (P=.003) in a manner similar to that shown by AUC. No significant differences were found between the genotype groups in terms of dose-normalized AUC or C(max) values of pitavastatin lactone. CONCLUSION: OATP 1 B 1 variant haplotypes were found to have a significant effect on the pharmacokinetics of pitavastatin. These results suggest that the *15 allele is associated with decreased pitavastatin uptake from blood into hepatocytes and that OATP 1 B 1 genetic polymorphisms have no effect on the pharmacokinetics of pitavastatin lactone.
- 0009-9236 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.