S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Program in Cancer Biology (협동과정-종양생물학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_협동과정-종양생물학전공)
Mycobacterium seoulense sp. nov., a slowly growing scotochromogenic species
- Mun, Ho-Suk; Kim, Hyun-Ju; Oh, Eun-Ju; Kim, Hong; Bai, Gil-Han; Yu, Hee-Kyung; Park, Young-Gil; Cha, Chang-Yong; Kook, Yoon-Hoh; Kim, Bum-Joon
- Issue Date
- Society for General Microbiology
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2007 Mar;57(Pt 3):594-9.
- Base Sequence; DNA, Bacterial/genetics; DNA, Ribosomal/genetics; Female; Humans; Lung Diseases/*microbiology; Middle Aged; Molecular Sequence Data; Mycobacterium/*classification/genetics; Mycobacterium Infections/*microbiology; RNA, Ribosomal, 16S/genetics
- A previously undescribed, slowly growing, scotochromogenic mycobacterium was isolated from a patient with symptomatic pulmonary infection during hsp65 sequence-based identification of Korean clinical isolates. Phenetic characteristics of this strain were generally similar to those of Mycobacterium nebraskense and Mycobacterium scrofulaceum. However, some phenetic characteristics differentiated it from these two species. Its 16S rRNA gene sequences were unique and phylogenetic analysis based on 16S rRNA gene sequences placed the organism in the slowly growing Mycobacterium group close to M. nebraskense and M. scrofulaceum. Its unique mycolic acid profiles and the results of phylogenetic analysis based on two independent alternative chronometer molecules, hsp65 and rpoB, confirmed the taxonomic status of this strain as representing a novel species. These data support the conclusion that this strain represents a novel mycobacterial species, for which the name Mycobacterium seoulense sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain is strain 03-19(T) (=DSM 44998(T)=KCTC 19146(T)).
- 1466-5026 (Print)