S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Effect of the CYP2C19 polymorphism on the eradication rate of Helicobacter pylori infection by 7-day triple therapy with regular proton pump inhibitor dosage
- Kang, Jung Mook; Kim, Nayoung; Lee, Dong Ho; Park, Young Soo; Kim, Joo Sung; Chang, In Jin; Song, In Sung; Jung, Hyun Chae
- Issue Date
- J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008 Aug;23(8 Pt 1):1287-91. Epub 2008 Jul 10.
- 2-Pyridinylmethylsulfinylbenzimidazoles/administration & dosage; Adult; Amoxicillin/administration & dosage; Anti-Bacterial Agents/*administration & dosage; Aryl Hydrocarbon Hydroxylases/*genetics; Clarithromycin/administration & dosage; Drug Therapy, Combination; Female; Helicobacter Infections/*drug therapy/*genetics; *Helicobacter pylori; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; Omeprazole/administration & dosage; Polymorphism, Genetic; Proton Pump Inhibitors/*administration & dosage; Treatment Outcome
- BACKGROUND AND AIM: Proton pump inhibitors (PPI) are mainly metabolized by cytochrome P450 2C19 (CYP2C19) in the liver. We investigated whether the CYP2C19 genotype plays a role in the eradication rate of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection in patients receiving pantoprazole- or esomeprazole-based triple therapy. METHODS: A total of 327 patients infected with H. pylori were treated with either pantoprazole or esomeprazole, plus amoxicillin and clarithromycin for 7 days. The presence of the CYP2C19 genotype was determined by pyrosequencing. RESULTS: The overall H. pylori eradication rate was 85%; 82.6% for the PAC regimen, and 88.3% for the EAC regimen; the differences were not statistically significant. The overall eradication rate in the poor metabolizer groups (PM) was significantly higher than in the extensive metabolizer groups (EM) (97.4% vs 83.3%; P = 0.016). The eradication rates in the EM and PM groups were 80.8% and 95.7% for the PAC regimen and 86.8% and 100% for the EAC regimen, respectively. CONCLUSION: The results of this study suggest that the CYP2C19 genotype status may play a role in the H. pylori eradication rate in patients receiving pantoprazole or esomeprazole-based triple therapy.
- 1440-1746 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.