S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Mechanical Aerospace Engineering (기계항공공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_기계항공공학부)
Navier-Stokes Computation of Flows in Arc-Heaters
- Kim, Kyu Hong; Rho, Oh Hyun
- Issue Date
- Journal of thermophysics and heat transfer. vol. 14, no2, pp. 250-258
- Wind Tunnels; Arc heating; High temperature; Reentry; Constricted tube; Navier-Stokes equations; Computation code; Flow Pattern; Velocity distribution; Temperature distribution; Heat transfer; Digital simulation
- The existing computer code ARCFLO, which calculates the flow through the constricted-arc heater, is modified and expanded by the use of the modern computational fluid dynamics technique. The entire flowfield within an arc-heated wind tunnel, that is, from the upstream electrode chamber to the nozzle exit, is described by the Navier-Stokes equations, but the joule heating and radiative transfer phenomena are described as in the ARCFLO code. The modeling of turbulence in the constrictor region is different from that in ARCFLO. The code developed in the present work, tentatively designated as Arcflo2, requires only the mass flow rate and electrical current as inputs and describes the flow conditions from the upstream electrode region to the nozzle throat. The code reproduces the measured operating characteristics of several wind tunnels closer than the ARCFLO code
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.