S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Mechanical Aerospace Engineering (기계항공공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_기계항공공학부)
Layer-by-layer deposition of hyaluronic acid and poly-L-lysine for patterned cell co-cultures
- Khademhosseini, Ali; Suh, Kahp Y.; Yang, Jen M.; Eng, George; Yeh, Judy; Levenberg, Shulamit; Langer, Robert
- Issue Date
- Biomaterials 2004;25:3583-92
- patterned co-cultures; Layer-by-layer; Hyaluronic acid; poly-L-lysine; EMBRYONIC STEM-CELLS; DRUG-DELIVERY; HEPATOCYTES; SURFACES; SYSTEMS; PROTEIN; ADHESION; DEXTRAN; CULTURE; FILMS
- Anovel method for patterning cellular co-cultures that uses the layer-by-layer deposition of ionic biopolymers is described. Nonbiofouling
hyaluronic acid (HA) micropatterns were used to immobilize cells and proteins to glass substrates. Subsequent ionic
adsorption of poly-l-lysine (PLL) to HApatterns was used to switch the HAsurfaces from cell repulsive to adherent thereby
facilitating the adhesion of a second cell type. The utility of this approach to pattern co-cultures of hepatocytes or embryonic stem
cells with fibroblasts was demonstrated. In addition, the versatility of this approach to generate patterned co-cultures irrespective of
the primary cell seeding and relative adhesion of the seeded cells was demonstrated. Thus, the proposed method may be a useful tool
for fabricating controlled cellular co-cultures for cell–cell interaction studies and tissue engineering applications.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.