S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
α3β1 integrin promotes cell survival via multiple interactions between 14-3-3 isoforms and proapoptotic proteins
- Oh, Ju-Eun; Jang, Da Hyun; Kim, Hyunsoo; Kang, Hyun Ki; Chung, Chong-Pyoung; Park, Won Ho; Min, Byung-Moo
- Issue Date
- EXPERIMENTAL CELL RESEARCH 315 (2009) 3187-3200
- Laminin-5; PPFLMLLKGSTR motif; Keratinocyte survival; Anti-apoptosis; 14-3-3ζ/p-Bad complex; 14-3-3σ/p-YAP complex
- Laminin-5 and α3β1 integrin promote keratinocyte survival; however, the downstream signaling pathways for laminin-5/α3β1 integrin-mediated cell survival had not been fully established. We report the unexpected finding of multiple interactions between 14-3-3 isoforms and proapoptotic proteins in the survival signaling pathway. Ln5-P4 motif within human laminin-5 α3 chain promotes cell survival and anti-apoptosis by inactivating Bad and YAP. This effect is achieved through the formation of 14-3-3ζ/p-Bad and 14-3-3σ/p-YAP complexes, which is initiated by α3β1 integrin and FAK/PI3K/Akt signaling. These complexes result in cytoplasmic sequestration of Bad and YAP and their subsequent inactivation. An increase in Akt1 activity in cells induces 14-3-3ζ and σ, p-Bad, and p-YAP, promoting cell survival, whereas decreasing Akt activity suppresses the same proteins and inhibits cell survival. Suppression of 14-3-3ζ with RNA-interference inhibits cell viability and promotes apoptosis. These results reveal a new mechanism of cell survival whereby the formation of 14-3-3ζ/p-Bad and 14-3-3σ/p-YAP complexes is initiated by laminin-5 stimulation via the α3β1 integrin and FAK/PI3K/Akt signaling pathways, thereby resulting in cell survival and anti-apoptosis.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.