S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Architecture and Architectural Engineering (건축학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_건축학과)
The effect of sloshing on the sway motions of 2D rectangular cylinders in regular waves
- Lee, DongYoung; Jo, GyungNam; Kim, YunHo; Choi, Hang S.; Faltinsen, Odd M.
- Issue Date
- SPRINGER TOKYO
- JOURNAL OF MARINE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY; Vol.16 3; 323-330
- 2D rectangular cylinders; Sway motion; Sloshing; Natural frequency; Multi-modal method; Tank test
- In this paper, we investigated the effect of sloshing on the sway motions of two-dimensional rectangular cylinders in regular waves, bearing in mind possible applications for LNG-FPSO and LNG-FSRU. First, we carried out experiments for two models with different drafts, or the same draft but different filling ratios, in which the models were firmly connected to each other. The sway motion was measured with a noncontact video camera. This is an extension of Rognebakke and Faltinsen`s work for a single model (J Ship Res 47(3):208-221, 2003). It was found that the sway motion became small when the incident wave frequency was close to the lowest natural frequency of each model. The sway motion greatly increased when the wave frequency was higher than this frequency. The measured data were compared with numerical results obtained by a single-dominant multi-modal method; relatively good agreement was noted. However, the numerical results deviated from the experimental results near the lowest natural frequency of the smaller model, which was believed to be due to overturning waves, as observed during the experiment. Since this is out of the valid range for the single-dominant multi-modal method, other, more appropriate, methods such as the multi-dominant modal method must be applied instead.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.