S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Ethnic Coefficients for Glomerular Filtration Rate Estimation by the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study Equations in the Korean Population
- Lee, Chung Sik; Cha, Ran-hui; Lim, Youn-Hee; Kim, Ho; Gu, Namyi; Lim, Chun Soo; Kim, Suhnggwon; Kim, Yon Su; Han, Jin Suk; Yu, Kyung Sang; Song, Ka Heon
- Issue Date
- KOREAN ACAD MEDICAL SCIENCES
- JOURNAL OF KOREAN MEDICAL SCIENCE; Vol.25 11; 1616-1625
- Coefficient; Glomerular Filtration Rate; Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study; Inulin Clearance
- Race and ethnicity are influential in estimating glomerular filtration rate (GFR). We aimed to find the Korean coefficients for the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) study equations and to obtain novel proper estimation equations. Reference GFR was measured by systemic inulin clearance. Serum creatinine (SCr) values were measured by the alkaline picrate Jaffe kinetic method, then, recalibrated to CX3 analyzer and to isotope dilution mass spectrometry (IDMS). The Korean coefficients for the 4 and 6 variable MDRD and IDMS MDRD study equations based on the SCr recalibrated to CX3 and to IDMS were 0.73989/0.74254 and 0.99096/0.9554, respectively. Coefficients for the 4 and 6 variable MDRD equations based on the SCr measured by Jaffe method were 1.09825 and 1.04334, respectively. The modified equations showed better performances than the original equations. The novel 4 variable equations for Korean based on the SCr measured and recalibrated to IDMS were 107.904xSCr(-1.009)xage(-0.02) (x0.667, if woman) and 87.832xSCr(-0.882)xage(0.01) (x0.653, if woman), respectively. Modified estimations of the MDRD and IDMS MDRD study equations with ethnic coefficients and the novel equations improve the performance of GFR estimation for the overall renal function.