S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Architecture and Architectural Engineering (건축학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_건축학과)
Military Facility Cost Estimation System Using Case-Based Reasoning in Korea
- Ji, Sae-Hyun; Park, Moonseo; Lee, Hyun-Soo; Ahn, Joseph; Son, Bosik; Kim, Namho
- Issue Date
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- JOURNAL OF COMPUTING IN CIVIL ENGINEERING, Vol.25, No.3, pp.218-231
- This manuscript was submitted on January 22, 2010; approved on July 30, 2010; published online on August 3, 2010. Discussion period open until October 1, 2011; separate discussions must be submitted for individual papers.
- Numerous cost estimations are made repetitively in the initial stages of construction projects in response to ongoing scope changes and often need to be recalculated frequently. In practice, the square foot method, considered an effective method for time-saving, is widely used. However, this method requires a great amount of effort to calculate a unit price and does not consider the uniqueness of each case. Thus, the use of the square foot method could bring about unwanted consequences. For example, in the case of military projects in Korea, significant differences have been reported between estimations made using this method and the actual costs. In an effort to deal with this challenging issue, this research develops a military facility cost estimation (MilFaCE) system, based on case-based reasoning (CBR), using case data from 422 construction projects at 16 military facilities. Based on system validation experiments involving 10 military officers (engineers), the effectiveness of the system in terms of estimation accuracy and user-friendliness is confirmed. Consequently, this research can be a CBR application example of construction cost estimation and a basis for further research into the development of cost estimate systems. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000082. (C) 2011 American Society of Civil Engineers.