S-Space College of Social Sciences (사회과학대학) Institute for Korean Regional Studies (국토문제연구소) 지리학논총 (Journal of Geography) 지리학논총 Volume 10 (1983)
Tafoni의 形成過程에 關한 硏究 -德뿔山을 對象으로-
A Study on the Tafoni of Mt. Deog-sung: Morphogenic Approach
- Issue Date
- 서울대학교 국토문제연구소
- 지리학논총, Vol.10, pp. 371-382
- Since the first description of Corsican tafoni in 1882, many workers have argued that tafoni are formed wholly by subaerial processes under the present climate.
But a very large part of the present terrestrial relief has been sculptured during periods with climate diffeunt from the present one. Also various lines of evidence and argument suggest that some of residual landforms may have originated from differential subsurface weathering.
The purpose of this study is to clarify the morphogenic processes of tafoni in Mt. Deog-sung. Mt. Deog-sung is located in the southeastern margin of the Ga-ya mountains,
Chungchongnamdo, and consists of Jurraic coarse-grained biotite granite and felsite. Here, tafoni are found only on the residual granite rocks. For this purpose, the distribution of cavernous weathered rocks(tafoni) was investigated, and their morphology, especially
relations between tafoni and other minor forms such as flared slopes, platforms and
rillen, was analyzed. The conclusions of this study are as follows;
1. Tafoni of Mt. Deog-sung occur mainly on the southern main ridge and lateral ridges. Also, they are distributed on platforms or their altitudes approximate those of platforms.
2. The altitude of their high frequency of occurrence is 140m to 200m, and the altitude of their maximum frequency of occurrence is 145m to 155m.
3. Tafoni are commonly found in juxtaposition with flared slopes on residual rocks, suggesting that the two are genetically related.