S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Urology (비뇨기과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_비뇨기과학전공)
Adjuvant chemotherapy in the management of pT3N0M0 transitional cell carcinoma of the upper urinary tract
- Lee, Sang Eun; Byun, Seok-Soo; Park, Yong Hyun; Chang, In Ho; Kim, Yong June; Hong, Sung Kyu
- Issue Date
- Urol Int 2006;77(1):22-26
- Transitional cell carcinoma; upper urinary tract; Radical nephroureterectomy; regional lymphadenectomy; Adjuvant chemotherapy; upper urinary tract transitional cell carcinoma
- INTRODUCTION: We investigate the efficacy of postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy for locally advanced, but lymph node negative, pathologic stage T3 transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) of the upper urinary tract. PATIENTS AND METHODS: A retrospective study on 27 patients who had undergone radical nephroureterectomy with regional lymphadenectomy for pT3N0M0 primary upper urinary tract TCC at our institution from 1996 to 2001 was performed. Among the 27 patients, 16 also received adjuvant chemotherapy following surgery (adjuvant group), whereas the other 11 patients did not (nonadjuvant group). RESULTS: Adjuvant and nonadjuvant therapy groups were not significantly different with respect to age, sex, performance status, tumor grade, and tumor location. Overall, 5 of the 16 patients (31%) in the adjuvant group and 4 of the 11 patients (36%) in the nonadjuvant group had recurrence of cancer at 40 months of follow-up. The two groups demonstrated no significant differences in recurrence-free survival (p = 0.794) and disease-specific survival (p = 0.783). CONCLUSIONS: Although it would be difficult to draw any definite conclusions from the results of our investigations, our data suggest that adjuvant therapy with traditional conventional chemotherapeutic regimens alone may not be effective as previously anticipated in significantly improving survival rates for locally advanced, but lymph node negative, TCC of the upper urinary tract.
- 0042-1138 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.