S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Radiology (영상의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_영상의학전공)
Comparison of 1.5T and 3T 1H MR spectroscopy for human brain tumors
- Kim, Ji-hoon; Chang, Kee-Hyun; Na, Dong Gyu; Song, In Chan; Kim, Seung Ja; Kwon, Bae Ju; Han, Moon Hee
- Issue Date
- The Korean Radiological Society
- Korean J Radiol 2006;7:156-161
- Biological Markers/*analysis; Brain Neoplasms/*diagnosis/*metabolism; Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy/*methods; Protons/*diagnostic use; Reproducibility of Results; Sensitivity and Specificity
- OBJECTIVE: We wanted to estimate the practical improvements of 3T proton MR spectroscopy ((1)H MRS) as compared with 1.5T (1)H MRS for the evaluation of human brain tumors. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Single voxel (1)H MRS was performed at both 1.5T and 3T in 13 patients suffering with brain tumors. Using the same data acquisition parameters at both field strengths, the (1)H MRS spectra were obtained with a short echo time (TE) (35 msec) and an intermediate TE (144 msec) with the voxel size ranging from 2.0 cm(3) to 8.7 cm(3). The signal to noise ratios (SNRs) of the metabolites (myoinositol [MI], choline compounds [Cho], creatine /phosphocreatine [Cr], N-acetyl-aspartate [NAA], lipid and lactate [LL]) and the metabolite ratios of MI/Cr, Cho/Cr, Cho/NAA and LL/Cr were compared at both TEs between the two field strengths in each brain tumor. The degrees of spectral resolution between the Cho and Cr peaks were qualitatively compared between the two field strengths in each brain tumor. RESULTS: The SNRs of the metabolites at 3T demonstrated 49-73% increase at a short TE (p < 0.01) and only 2-12% increase at an intermediate TE (p > 0.05) compared with those of 1.5T. The SNR of inverted lactate at an intermediate TE decreased down to 49% with poorer inversion at 3T (p < 0.05). There was no significant difference in the metabolite ratios between the two field strengths. The degrees of the spectral resolution at 3T were slightly superior to those of 1.5T at a short TE. CONCLUSION: As compared with 1.5T, 3T 1H MRS demonstrated 49-73% SNR increase in the cerebral metabolites and slightly superior spectral resolution only at a short TE, but little at an intermediate TE, in the brain tumors. There was no significant difference in the metabolite ratios between the two field strengths.
- 1229-6929 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.