S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Laboratory Medicine (검사의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_검사의학전공)
Treatment failure due to emergence of resistance to carbapenem during therapy for Shewanella algae bacteremia
- Kim, Dong-Min; Kang, Cheol-In; Lee, Chang Seop; Kim, Hong-Bin; Kim, Eui-Chong; Kim, Nam Joong; Oh, Myoung-Don; Choe, Kang-Won
- Issue Date
- American Society for Microbiology
- J Clin Microbiol. 2006 Mar;44(3):1172-4.
- Aged; Bacteremia/*drug therapy/*microbiology; Base Sequence; DNA Primers/genetics; DNA, Bacterial/genetics/isolation & purification; Drug Resistance, Bacterial; Gram-Negative Bacterial Infections/*drug therapy/*microbiology; Humans; Imipenem/*therapeutic use; Male; Polymerase Chain Reaction; Shewanella/*drug effects/genetics/isolation & purification; Treatment Failure
- We describe a case of bacteremia due to imipenem-susceptible Shewanella algae. Despite treatment with imipenem, the patient developed a spinal epidural abscess, from which imipenem-resistant S. algae was isolated. The development of resistance should be monitored when S. algae infection is treated with imipenem, even though the strain is initially susceptible to imipenem.
- 0095-1137 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.