S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dental Research Institute (치학연구소) Journal Papers (저널논문_치학연구소)
Recessive Mutations in ACPT, Encoding Testicular Acid Phosphatase, Cause Hypoplastic Amelogenesis Imperfecta
- Seymen, Figen ; Kim, Youn Jung ; Lee, Ye Ji ; Kang, Jenny ; Kim, Tak-Heun ; Choi, Hwajung ; Koruyucu, Mine ; Kasimoglu, Yelda ; Tuna, Elif Bahar ; Gencay, Koray ; Shin, Teo Jeon ; Hyun, Hong-Keun ; Kim, Young-Jae ; Lee, Sang-Hoon ; Lee, Zang Hee ; Zhang, Hong ; Hu, Jan C-C. ; Simmer, James P. ; Kim, Jung-Wook
- Issue Date
- Cell Press
- American Journal of Human Genetics, Vol.99 No.5, pp. 1199-1205
- Recessive Mutations in ACPT, Encoding Testicular Acid Phosphatase, Cause Hypoplastic Amelogenesis Imperfecta ; 복합학 ; amelogenesis imperfecta ; testicular acid phosphatase ; ACPT ; hypoplastic amelogenesis imperfecta ; autosomal-recessive
- Amelogenesis imperfecta (AI) is a heterogeneous group of genetic disorders affecting tooth enamel. The affected enamel can be hypo plastic and/or hypomineralized. In this study, we identified ACPT (testicular acid phosphatase) biallelic mutations causing non-syndromic, generalized hypoplastic autosomal-recessive amelogenesis imperfecta (AI) in individuals from six apparently unrelated Turkish families. Families 1, 4, and 5 were affected by the homozygous ACPT mutation c.713C>T (p.Ser238Leu), family 2 by the homozygous ACPT mutation c.331C>T (p.Arg111Cys), family 3 by the homozygous ACPT mutation c.226C>T (p.Arg76Cys), and family 6 by the compound heterozygous ACPT mutations c.382G>C (p.Ala128Pro) and 397G>A (p.Glu133Lys). Analysis of the ACPT crystal structure suggests that these mutations damaged the activity of ACPT by altering the sizes and charges of key amino acid side chains, limiting accessibility of the catalytic core, and interfering with homodimerization. Immunohistochemical analysis confirmed localization of ACPT in secretory-stage ameloblasts. The study results provide evidence for the crucial function of ACPT during amelogenesis.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.