S-Space Graduate School of Public Administration (행정대학원) Dept. of Public Administration (행정학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_행정학과)
Exploring Neglected Aspects of Innovation Function: Public Motivation and Non-pecuniary Values
- 정광호; Jung, Kwangho; Lee, Seung-Hee; Workman, Jane E.
- Issue Date
- Sage Publications India PVT LTD
- Science, Technology and Society, Vol.21 No.3, pp. 435-464
- The traditional innovation function, focusing on extrinsic motivations such as economic benefits and returns, has neglected the side of intrinsic values and public motivations for innovation function. Recent innovation examples in an era of mobile network and web-based information environment pursue open connected innovations such as open source movement and crowding source. Such open, collective and social innovations result from strong public motivation and trust network. Although previous studies argue the potential effects of intrinsic values on innovative attitude, research has not yet provided a comprehensive empirical evidence on how innovative attitude is associated with intrinsic and public motivations. Little empirical research remains for the impact of public motivations and intrinsic values on innovative attitudes. This study, relying on nationally represented survey (n = 3,188) in South Korea, explores an empirical link between public motivations and innovative attitudes to explore and allow new ideas. We found that public interest, empathy, altruism and job involvement facilitate innovative attitude to pursue and accept new ideas and suggestions. This implies that both intrinsic values (job enjoyment and satisfaction) and public motivations (public interests, empathy and altruism) are crucial factors to promote innovative attitudes. We also found strong non-linear relationships between satisfaction, trust and innovative attitude. We discuss implications for future innovation function of intrinsic and public motivations in terms of the process of social construction.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.