S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on duodenal ulcer scar in patients with no clinical history of duodenal ulcer
- Kim, J S; Kim, S G; Choi, I J; Park, M J; Kim, B G; Jung, H C; Song, I S
- Issue Date
- Blackwell Publishing
- Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2002 Feb;16(2):275-80.
- Amoxicillin/therapeutic use; Anti-Bacterial Agents/*therapeutic use; Anti-Ulcer Agents/*therapeutic use; Clarithromycin/*therapeutic use; Drug Therapy, Combination; Duodenal Ulcer/drug therapy/*microbiology/pathology; Female; Helicobacter Infections/*drug therapy; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; Omeprazole/*therapeutic use; Recurrence
- BACKGROUND: Helicobacter pylori eradication has become the standard treatment for duodenal ulcer. However, there is no relevant evidence for antibacterial treatment of the white scar stage of duodenal ulcer (duodenal ulcer scar) in patients with no past history of duodenal ulcer. AIM: To investigate whether H. pylori eradication could decrease duodenal ulcer recurrence in patients with duodenal ulcer scar and no past history of duodenal ulcer. PATIENTS AND METHODS: We prospectively enrolled 66 patients with duodenal ulcer scar: 53 were H. pylori-positive and 13 were H. pylori-negative. H. pylori-positive patients were randomly assigned into two groups (two-to-one allocation): 36 patients were assigned to the treatment group and 17 to the follow-up group. Thirteen H. pylori-negative patients were followed up according to the study protocol. Follow-up endoscopy was performed to evaluate ulcer scar changes and H. pylori status 6 weeks after anti-H. pylori treatment and then every 6 months for up to 30 months. RESULTS: Active duodenal ulcer recurrence was identified in seven of 23 H. pylori-positive/non-cured patients (30%). There was no duodenal ulcer recurrence in 43 H. pylori-negative/cured patients (0%), which was significantly different in terms of duodenal ulcer recurrence (P=0.001). CONCLUSIONS: H. pylori eradication is effective at preventing active duodenal ulcer recurrence in patients with duodenal ulcer scar and no past history of duodenal ulcer.
- 0269-2813 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.