S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dermatology (피부과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_피부과학전공)
Subungual schwannoma: a rare location
- Moon, Sang Eun; Cho, Young Joon; Kwon, Oh Sang
- Issue Date
- Blackwell Publishing
- Dermatol Surg. 2005 May;31(5):592-4.
- Bone Neoplasms/complications/*diagnosis/pathology/radiography/surgery; Diagnosis, Differential; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; Nails, Malformed/*etiology/pathology; Neurilemmoma/complications/*diagnosis/pathology/radiography/surgery
- BACKGROUND: Schwannoma is a benign tumor of neural tissue and usually develops in deeper soft tissue. Cutaneous involvement is uncommon, and a subungual location is extremely rare. In fact, it has not been previously reported. OBJECTIVE: To present a case of subungual schwannoma. METHOD: A 49-year-old man had a subungual tumor on his right thumb of 8 years duration. The lesion caused a mild stinging sensation in winter and grew slowly. The tumor was excised using a transungual approach. After closure, the wound was dressed with a trimmed original nail plate. RESULTS: The nail plate grew normally, and there was no recurrence 1 year postoperatively. CONCLUSION: We describe a case of schwannoma that developed in the subungual area of a thumb. Although schwannoma rarely develops in this area, it should be considered in the differential diagnosis of subungual tumor.
- 1076-0512 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.