S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Thoracic Surgery (흉부외과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_흉부외과학전공)
Twin AV node and induced supraventricular tachycardia in Fontan palliation patients
- Bae, Eun-Jung; Noh, Chung-Il; Choi, Jung-Yun; Yun, Yong-Soo; Kim, Woong-Han; Lee, Jeong-Ryul; Kim, Yong-Jin
- Issue Date
- Blackwell Publishing
- Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2005 Feb;28(2):126-34.
- Adolescent; Adult; Atrioventricular Node/*abnormalities; Chi-Square Distribution; Child; Child, Preschool; Electrophysiologic Techniques, Cardiac; Female; *Fontan Procedure; *Heart Catheterization; Heart Defects, Congenital/physiopathology/*surgery; Humans; Infant; Male; Palliative Care; Postoperative Complications/*physiopathology; Risk Factors; Tachycardia, Supraventricular/*physiopathology
- INTRODUCTION: The coexistence of two distinct atrioventricular (AV) nodes has been described in congenital heart disease requiring Fontan type palliation. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the occurrence of twin AV node according to anatomical subgroups, and to determine its relation to tachycardia. METHODS: From 2001 to 2003, we performed an electrophysiologic (EP) study upon 52 consecutive patients who had undergone cardiac catheterization after Fontan completion. Atrial pacing was performed at three or more different atrial sites. RESULTS: In 10/52 patients, two different QRS complexes were recorded at different pacing sites, suggesting twin AV node (9/20 in right isomerism, 1/8 discordance AV connections, 0/24 other complex anomalies). AV reciprocating tachycardia (AVRT), presumably involving two AV nodes and a connecting sling, was induced in 6 of 10 patients who had twin AV node (4/6 used posterior AV node as an antegrade limb, 2/6 used an anterior AV node as an antegrade limb). Heterotaxy syndrome (P < 0.001) and complete AV septal defect (P = 0.002) were found to be risk factors for twin AV node. Junctional tachycardia (JT; HR > 150/min) with either VA dissociation (7/9) or second degree VA block (2/9) were induced by pacing or isoproterenol infusion in 9/52 patients. CONCLUSION: JT induction was associated with a twin AV node (P = 0.04), or a history of early postoperative junctional ectopic tachycardia (P = 0.02). A complicated AV node conduction system such as twin AV node was frequent in heterotaxy syndrome. Both AVRT and JT with VA block may be important causes of tachyarrhythmia in this patient group.
- 0147-8389 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.