S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Orthopedic Surgery (정형외과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_정형외과학전공)
Correlation of the condition of the patellar articular cartilage and patellofemoral symptoms and function in osteoarthritic patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty
- Han, I.; Chang, C. B.; Lee, S.; Lee, M. C.; Seong, S. C.; Kim, T. K.
- Issue Date
- J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 2005;87:1081-4
- Anthropometry; *Arthroplasty, Replacement, Knee; Female; Knee Joint/physiopathology; Osteoarthritis, Knee/*pathology/physiopathology/surgery; Pain/pathology; Pain Measurement/methods; Patella/*pathology/physiopathology/surgery; Postoperative Period; Severity of Illness Index
- We sought to determine the degree of correlation between the condition of the patellar articular cartilage and patellofemoral symptoms and function in osteoarthritic patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty. The depth of the osteoarthritic lesion, as graded by the Outerbridge classification and its size and location were assessed to determine the condition of the patellar cartilage in 80 consecutive osteoarthritic knees undergoing total knee arthroplasty. The association between the condition of the cartilage and patellofemoral symptoms and function was investigated by correlation analysis.The depth and size of the lesion had a significant but weak correlation with anterior knee pain (r = -0.300 and -0.289; p = 0.007 and 0.009, respectively), whereas location had no significant association (p > 0.05). None had a significant association with patellofemoral functional parameters (chair-rising, stair-climbing, and quadriceps power) (p > 0.05).Our study indicates that patellofemoral symptoms and function are not completely determined by the condition of the cartilage. Caution should be taken when the symptoms and functional limitations are attributed to a lesion in the patellofemoral joint in making a decision regarding patellar resurfacing in total knee arthroplasty.
- 0301-620X (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.