S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Urology (비뇨기과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_비뇨기과학전공)
Prevalence of urinary incontinence in Korean women:an epidemiologic survey
- Choo, Myung-Soo; Ku, Ja Hyeon; Oh, Seung-June; Lee, Kyu-Sung; Paick, Jae-Seung; Seo, Ju Tae; Kim, Duk Yoon; Lee, Jeong Ju; Lee, Jeong Gu; Na, Yong Gil; Kwon, Dong Deuk; Park, Won-Hee
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2007 Nov;18(11):1309-15. Epub 2007 Feb 15.
- Adult; Age Distribution; Aged; Female; Humans; Korea/epidemiology; Middle Aged; Prevalence; Questionnaires; Urinary Incontinence/*epidemiology
- The purpose of this study was to evaluate the prevalence of urinary incontinence (UI) in a Korean national community sample of female adults aged 30-79 years. During April 2003, a national Korea telephone survey using quota sampling methods was conducted. The clinically validated computer-assisted telephone interview approach was used in the survey. Of the 1,500 subjects contacted, 1,303 were successfully interviewed (response rate 86.9%). Overall, UI was reported by 40.8%, and 22.9, 3.1, and 14.9% reported pure stress, urge, and mixed UI, respectively. The prevalence of stress, urge, and mixed UI generally did not increase with age. Urge and mixed UI had a greater impact than stress UI on daily tasks (P < 0.001), social life (P < 0.001), depression or anxiety due to UI (P < 0.001), worry about UI (P < 0.001), sex life (P < 0.001), wear protection due to UI (P = 0.011), and quality of life (P < 0.001). In subjects with pure stress UI, 28.3% reported impaired quality of life compared with 43.9% and 43.8% of subjects with urge and mixed UI. Of those individuals with stress, urge, and mixed UI, 19.1, 20.0, and 25.8% had the willingness to seek medical consultation. This study is the first to examine the prevalence of UI in Korean women. The present study revealed that there was a high prevalence of UI in this population. Our descriptive research provides a valuable insight into the need for tailored education to this population about UI.
- 0937-3462 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.