S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Neurology (신경과학교실) Journal Papers (저널논문_신경과학교실)
Memantine reduces striatal cell death with decreasing calpain level in 3-nitropropionic model of Huntington's disease
- Lee, Soon-Tae; Chu, Kon; Park, Jung-Eun; Kang, Lami; Ko, Song-Yi; Jung, Keun-Hwa; Kim, Manho
- Issue Date
- Brain Res. 2006 Nov 6;1118(1):199-207. Epub 2006 Sep 7.
- Animals; Apoptosis Regulatory Proteins/drug effects/metabolism; Calpain/*drug effects/metabolism; Cell Death/drug effects/physiology; Corpus Striatum/*drug effects/pathology/physiopathology; Disease Models, Animal; Down-Regulation/drug effects/physiology; Excitatory Amino Acid Antagonists/pharmacology/therapeutic use; Huntington Disease/*drug therapy/metabolism/physiopathology; Male; Memantine/*pharmacology/therapeutic use; Nerve Degeneration/*drug therapy/physiopathology/prevention & control; Nerve Tissue Proteins/drug effects/metabolism; Neurons/*drug effects/metabolism/pathology; Neuroprotective Agents/pharmacology; Neurotoxins; Nitro Compounds; Nuclear Proteins/drug effects/metabolism; Peptide Fragments/drug effects/metabolism; Propionic Acids; Rats; Rats, Sprague-Dawley
- Huntington's disease has an increase in the activated calpain, which is enhanced by the NMDA receptor activation. We investigated the neuroprotective effect of memantine in 3-nitropropionic acid (3NP)-induced striatal degeneration model. Either memantine (20 mg/kg/day) or PBS was intraperitoneally administered for five days with 3NP continuous infusion. In the memantine-treated group, the striatal lesion volume, the number of TUNEL+ cells, and Fluoro-Jade C+ degenerating neurons were all decreased. Memantine increased Bcl-xl and decreased Bax level. Memantine also exerted an inhibitory effect on the micro-calpain level and decreased the huntingtin proteolytic fragments. Those rats treated with memantine showed less degree of weight loss at 5 days. Subsequently, memantine was found to have neuroprotective effects and save striatal cells with decreasing calpain levels in the 3NP model of Huntington's disease.
- 0006-8993 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.