S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Surgery (외과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_외과학전공)
Outcome after emergency surgery in gastric cancer patients with free perforation or severe bleeding
- Lee, Hyuk-Joon; Park, Do Joong; Yang, Han-Kwang; Lee, Kuhn Uk; Choe, Kuk-Jin
- Issue Date
- Dig Surg. 2006;23(4):217-23. Epub 2006 Jul 26
- Adult; Aged; Chi-Square Distribution; Emergencies; Female; Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage/*etiology/*surgery; Humans; Intestinal Perforation/*etiology/*surgery; Male; Middle Aged; Neoplasm Staging; Stomach Neoplasms/*complications/*surgery; Survival Rate; Treatment Outcome
- BACKGROUND/AIMS: This study was conducted to evaluate the clinicopathologic characteristics and surgical outcome of perforated or bleeding gastric cancer patients. METHODS: Twenty-six gastric cancer patients undergoing emergency surgery for free perforation (n = 13) or severe bleeding (n = 13) were reviewed. RESULTS: In the perforation group, tumors were mainly located in the greater curvature and anterior wall, but in the bleeding group, they were mainly in the lesser curvature. Three (23%) patients in the perforation group and 7 (54%) in the bleeding group received potentially curative resections (p = 0.11). The postoperative morbidity rate and mortality rate were 31 (8/26) and 8% (2/26), respectively. Median survival time after operation was 5.5 months. One patient in the perforation group and 3 patients in the bleeding group who underwent curative resection survived more than 30 months without recurrence. Three factors were found to be associated with improved survival after emergency surgery: potentially curative resection; TNM stage, and the absence of postoperative complications. CONCLUSION: Emergency surgery for gastric cancer patients with perforation or severe bleeding is associated with a low curative resection rate and a high postoperative complication rate. However, long-term survival can be expected in those patients who underwent curative resection with earlier stage gastric cancer.
- 0253-4886 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.