S-Space College of Natural Sciences (자연과학대학) Dept. of Biological Sciences (생명과학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_생명과학부)
An eco-friendly treatment of tannery wastewater using bioaugmentation with a novel microbial consortium
- Kim, In-Soo; Ekpeghere, Kaluibe; Ha, Shin-Young; Kim, Soo-Hyeon; Kim, Bong-Soo; Song, Bongkeun; Chun, Jongsik; Chang, Jae-Soo; Kim, Hong-Gi; Koh, Sung-Cheol
- Issue Date
- Journal of Environmental Science and Health - Part A Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering, Vol.48 No.13, pp.1732-1739
- Tannery wastewater; bioaugmentation; pyrosequencing; denitrification; real-time PCR; nosZ genes
- A novel microbial consortium (BM-S-1) enriched from natural soils was successfully used to treat tannery wastewater from leather manufacturing industries in Korea on a pilot scale. The objective of this study was to determine whether augmentation with a novel microbial consortium BM-S-1could successfully treat the recalcitrant wastewater without chemical pre-treatment in a tannery wastewater treatment system. Chemical oxygen demand (COD), total nitrogen (TN) and total phosphorus (TP) were monitored for water quality. The microbial population dynamics were analyzed using pyrosequencing, and denitrifying bacteria were quantified using real-time PCR (RT-PCR). The removal efficiencies for COD, TN and TP were greater than 91%, 79%, and 90%, respectively. The dominant phyla in the buffering tank (B), primary aeration (PA), secondary aeration (SA) and sludge digestion tank (SD) were Proteobacteria, Firmicutes, Bacteroidetes, Planctomycetes and Deinococcus-Thermus. Cluster analysis based on the UniFrac distance of the species in the different stages showed that the PA is similar to the SA, whereas the B is similar to the SD. qPCR of the nosZ genes showed the highest abundance of denitrifiers in B, which was increased 734-fold compared to the influent (I). It was hypothesized that anaerobic denitrifiers and the diverse microbial community may play important roles in the biological treatment of tannery wastewater. This technology may also contribute to the full-scale treatment of industrial wastewater containing food processing wastewater and marine sediment with high organic content.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.