S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Ophthalmology (안과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_안과학전공)
Visual function after primary posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation in pediatric unilateral cataract: stereopsis and visual acuity
- Park, Jung Hyun; Yu, Young Suk; Kim, Jeong Hun; Kim, Seong Joon; Choung, Ho Kyung
- Issue Date
- Korean Journal of Ophthalmology
- Korean J Ophthalmol. 2007 Dec;21(4):195-200.
- Cataract/genetics/pathology; Cataract Extraction/*methods; Child, Preschool; Depth Perception/*physiology; Female; Follow-Up Studies; Humans; Infant; Infant, Newborn; Lens Implantation, Intraocular/*methods; Male; Postoperative Period; Retrospective Studies; Treatment Outcome; Visual Acuity/*physiology
- PURPOSE: To investigate the association between binocular function and vision after cataract removal and primary posterior chamber intraocular lens (PC-IOL) implantation in children with unilateral cataract and to identify visual function differences according cataract type. METHODS: Clinical records of 2- to 6-year-old patients with unilateral cataract removal and primary PC-IOL implantation were reviewed retrospectively. Visual acuity and ocular alignment were measured. Sensory fusion was assessed with the Worth 4-dot test, and stereoacuity with the Titmus stereo test. Cataracts were classified according to cause, lens opacity location, age at onset, and presence of strabismus. Clinical characteristics of patients who obtained good visual function were identified. RESULTS: Forty-seven patients were included. Among 22 (46.8%) with good vision (20/40 or better), only 6 (27.3%) achieved good binocular function (the presence of fusion and 100 seconds of arc or better of stereoacuity). Visual acuity was better in eyes with good binocular function (p=0.002). No other variables were significant for achieving good binocular function. CONCLUSIONS: The removal of unilateral cataract in a visually immature child can result in a combination of good visual acuity and binocular function. Good binocular function is closely related to good visual acuity.
- 1011-8942 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.