S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Obstetrics & Gynecology (산부인과전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_산부인과학전공)
Hysteroscopic resection of the vaginal septum in uterus didelphys with obstructed hemivagina: a case report
- Kim, Tae Eun; Lee, Gyoung Hoon; Choi, Young Min; Jee, Byung Chul; Ku, Seung Yup; Suh, Chang Suk; Kim, Seok Hyun; Kim, Jung Gu; Moon, Shin Yong
- Issue Date
- Korean Academy of Medical Science
- J Korean Med Sci. 2007 Aug;22(4):766-9.
- Adolescent; Female; Humans; Hysteroscopy/*methods; Kidney/abnormalities; Urogenital Abnormalities/surgery; Uterus/*abnormalities; Vagina/*abnormalities/*surgery/ultrasonography
- Uterus didelphys with obstructed hemivagina and ipsilateral renal agenesis is a rare congenital anomaly. Excision of the obstructed vaginal septum is the treatment of choice for symptom relief and the preservation of reproductive capability. A 14-yr-old girl complained of persistent vaginal spotting following each menstruation. Pelvic magnetic resonance imaging revealed a uterus didelphys with left hematocolpos and ipsilateral renal agenesis. Instead of conventional transvaginal excision of the vaginal septum, we used hysteroscopic excision under transabdominal ultrasonographic guidance to preserve the integrity of the hymen. The postoperative course was uneventful, and clinical symptoms were completely resolved after this intervention. Resectoscopic excision of the vaginal septum was found to be easy, safe, effective, and appropriate for young women as it preserved hymen integrity. We believe that this is the first Korean report on the use of a hysteroscopy for vaginal septum resection in a patient with uterus didelphys with obstructed hemivagina.
- 1011-8934 (Print)