S-Space College of Veterinary Medicine (수의과대학) Dept. of Veterinary Medicine (수의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_수의학과)
alpha,beta-Poly(L-aspartate-graft-PEI): A pseudo-branched PEI as a gene carrier with low toxicity and high transfection efficiency
- Yu, Jia-Hui; Quan, Ji-Shan; Huang, Jin; Wang, Cheng-Yun; Sun, Bo; Nah, Jae-Woon; Cho, Myung-Haing; Cho, Chong-Su
- Issue Date
- Acta Biomaterialia, Vol.5 No.7, pp.2485-2494
- Gene delivery; Poly(L-succinimide); Pseudo-branched polyethylenimine; Poly(L-aspartate-g-PEI)
- The aim of this research is to develop a novel branched polyethylenimine (PEI)-like polycation as a potential gene carrier with high gene transfection efficiency and low toxicity. In particular, alpha,beta-poly(L-aspartate-graft-PEI) (Asp-g-PEI), a pseudo-branched PEI, was synthesized by the ring-opening reaction of poly(L-succinimide) (PSI) with low molecular weight branched PEI (LMW PEI, MW = 600 and 1200). Good plasmid condensation and protection ability of Asp-g-PEI were confirmed by agarose gel electrophoresis assay. Asp-g-PEI/DNA complexes showed high positive zeta potential, narrow size distribution, good dispersity and a compact spherical shape with size below 250 nm when the N/P ratio was above 5, suggesting that they can be endocytosed. Cytotoxicity of Asp-g-PEI/DNA complexes was rather lower than that of PEI25K/DNA complexes, especially at high N/P ratio. The most efficient gene transfection of Asp-g-PEI/DNA complexes was similar or a little higher than that of PEI25K in 293T, HeLa and HepG2 cell lines, while almost 4 and 6 times higher than that of parent PEI1200 and PEI600, respectively, in HeLa cell line; as the molecular weight of parent PEI in Asp-g-PEI was increased from 600 to 1200, the transfection efficiency showed a tendency to decrease. The mechanism of Asp-g-PEI-mediated gene transfection was attributed to the "proton sponge effect" due to PEI in the copolymer. (C) 2009 Acta Materialia Inc. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.