S-Space College of Veterinary Medicine (수의과대학) Dept. of Veterinary Medicine (수의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_수의학과)
Poly(ester amine) Synthesized from Trimethylolpropane Triacrylate and Spermine as an Efficient siRNA Carrier
- Kim, You-Kyoung; Cho, Chong-Su; Cho, Myung-Haing; Jiang, Hu-Lin
- Issue Date
- Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Vol.13 No.8, pp.5692-5697
- Gene Therapy; Small Interfering RNA; Gene Silencing; Toxicity; Non-Viral Vector; Poly(ester amine)
- Small interfering RNA (siRNA) is a promising candidate for gene therapy due to the strong and specific gene silencing effects. However, to effectively silence any protein, lack of an efficient delivery system is major obstacle for siRNA therapeutics. In the present study, we report on the development of a novel poly(ester amine) (PEA) as an efficient siRNA carrier. The PEA was prepared by a Michael addition reaction between trimethylolpropane triacrylate (TT) and spermine (SPE). The composition of the PEA was characterized by H-1 nuclear magnetic resonance (H-1 NMR) and the molecular weight was measured using gel permeability chromatography (GPC). This TT-SPE effectively condensed siRNA into a compact nanoscale structure (size: 76 nm) with homogenous size distribution and provided superior protection of siRNA from RNase A enzyme. Furthermore, TT-SPE/siRNA complexes showed good intracellular uptake and had efficacious gene silencing effect with low toxicity compared to PEI 25K. These findings demonstrated that TT-SPE has potential as an alternative to PEI 25K for siRNA-based gene therapy.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.