S-Space Graduate School of Convergence Science and Technology (융합과학기술대학원) Dept. of Molecular and Biopharmaceutical Sciences (분자의학 및 바이오제약학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_분자의학 및 바이오제약학과)
Carbon monoxide protects PC12 cells from peroxynitrite-induced apoptotic death by preventing the depolarization of mitochondrial transmembrane potential
- Li, Mei-Hua; Cha, Young-Nam; Surh, Young-Joon
- Issue Date
- Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, Vol.342 No.3, pp.984-990
- heme oxygenase-1; carbon monoxide; carbon monoxide-releasing molecule; peroxynitrite; anti-apoptosis; PC12 cells
- Heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1), the rate-limiting enzyme in catalyzing heme degradation into biliverdin, free iron, and carbon monoxide (CO), serves as a protective enzyme against oxidative and nitrosative stresses. In the present study, we investigated the cytoprotective effects of HO-1 upregulation and its product CO against the peroxynitrite-induced PC12 cell death. PC12 cells treated with 3-morphoinosydonimine (SIN-1), a generator of peroxynitrite (ONOO-), underwent apoptotic cell death as evidenced by dissipation of mitochondrial transmembrane potential (Delta psi m), release of mitochondrial cytochrome e into cytoplasm, cleavage of poly(ADP-ribose)polymerase and fragmentation of internucleosomal DNA. Pretreatment of PC12 cells with a low non-toxic concentration of SIN-1 (0.5 mM) induced HO-1 expression and abrogated the cell death caused by subsequent challenge with high dose SIN-1 (2.5 mM). Furthermore, pretreatment of PC12 cells with SnCl,, a potent inducer of HO-1 expression, increased endogenous production of CO (HO activity) and rescued the PC12 cells from peroxynitrite-induced apoptosis. The cytoprotective effect of SnCl2 was abolished when the HO activity was inhibited by zinc protoporphyrin IX (ZnPP IX). PC12 cells treated directly with the CO-releasing molecule, tricarbonyldichlororuthenium (II) dimer ([Ru(CO)(3)Cl-2](2)) became tolerant to the depolarization of Delta psi m and apoptosis induced by high dose peroxynitrite. Taken together, these data demonstrate that the adaptive protection against peroxynitrite-induced apoptotic death in PC12 cells is mediated by CO formed as a consequence of HO-I induction. (c) 2006 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.