S-Space Graduate School of Convergence Science and Technology (융합과학기술대학원) Dept. of Molecular and Biopharmaceutical Sciences (분자의학 및 바이오제약학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_분자의학 및 바이오제약학과)
Chemopreventive effect of 2-(allylthio)pyrazine (2-AP) on rat colon carcinogenesis induced by azoxymethane (AOM)
- Kim, Dae Joong; Kang, Jin Seok; Ahn, Byeongwoo; Kim, Ki Sok; Park, Ki Ho; Choi, Kwang Sik; Surh, Young-Joon; Kim, Nak-Doo
- Issue Date
- Cancer Letters, Vol.166 No.2, pp.125-133
- chemoprevention; 2-(allylthio)pyrazine; aberrant crypt foci; aberrant crypt; azoxymethane; rat colon carcinogenesis
- An investigation was conducted to assess the chemopreventive effects of 2-(allylthio)pyrazine (2-AP), synthesized for potential use as a chemopreventive agent, after administration during the pre-initiation and post-initiation stages in a rat colon carcinogenesis model with azoxymethane (AOM). One hundred, 5-week-old, male F344 rats were randomly divided into two experiments (n = 50 each). Experiment 1 rats were randomly divided into three groups: Group 1 rats: were pre-treated with 2-AP (25 or 50 mg/kg body weight, 3 consecutive days through the route of intragastric intubations) before AOM (20 mg/kg body weight, single subcutaneous (s.c.) injection) initiation. Group 2 rats were treated with AOM alone. Group 3 rats were given 2-AP alone without AOM initiation. The animals were killed at the end of each experiment (week 5) and the aberrant crypt foci (ACF) of the colonic mucosa were assessed after staining with methylene blue. Experiment 2 rats were randomly divided into three groups: Group 1 rats: were given 2-AP (10, 25 or 50 mg/kg body weight, five-times intragastric intubations per week for 5 weeks from week 3) after AOM (15 mg/kg body weight, three s.c, injections) initiation for 2 weeks. Group 2 rats were treated with AOM alone. Group 3 rats were given 2-AP alone without AOM initiation. The animals were killed at the end of the experiment (week 8) and the ACF of the colonic mucosa were quantified. Total numbers of ACF/colon in Group 1 rats: (pre-treated with 2-AP) tended to decrease (2-AP, 50 mg/kg body weight) or increase (2-AP, 100 mg/kg body weight) depending on the dose level. Total numbers of ACF/colon in Group 1 rats (treated with AOM followed by 2-AP, all subgroups; 160.8 +/- 38.0; 161.8 +/- 38.1; 137.1 +/- 48.4) were decreased significantly compared with the values in Group 2 rats (AOM alone; 214.8 +/- 48.1) (P < 0.05 or 0.01). The highest dose group (2-AP, 50 mg/kg body weight) had the lowest levels of total numbers of ACF/colon among the three subgroups. Total numbers of aberrant crypts (AC)/colon of the highest dose I:roup (340.1 +/- 117.9) decreased significantly compared with the value for Group 2 rats (AOM alone; 545.1 +/- 38.3). These results thus suggest that 2-AP may have potential as a chemopreventive agent against rat colon carcinogenesis after administration of AOM during the post-initiation stage. (C) 2001 Elsevier Science Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.