S-Space Graduate School of Convergence Science and Technology (융합과학기술대학원) Dept. of Molecular and Biopharmaceutical Sciences (분자의학 및 바이오제약학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_분자의학 및 바이오제약학과)
Induction of granulocytic differentiation in acute promyelocytic leukemia cells (HL-60) by 2-(allylthio) pyrazine
- Kong, Gu; Lee, Su Jeen; Kim, Hyun Jun; Surh, Young-Joon; Kim, Nak Doo
- Issue Date
- Cancer Letters, Vol.144 No.1, pp.1-8
- differentiation induction; 2-(allythio)pyrazine; chemoprevention and chemotherapy; human promyelocytic leukemia (HL-60) cells
- Induction of hematopoietic differentiation in human promyelocytic leukemia cells (HL-60) by new synthetic drugs or natural products has recently been recognized as a new strategy in the identification and testing of potential cancer chemopreventive and/or chemotherapeutic agents. 2-(Allythio) pyrazine (2-AP) is a pyrazine derivative of allysulfide, which has been suggested to be a potential cancer chemopreventive agent in previous in vivo and in vitro experiments. In the present study, we have investigated the inducing effect of granulocytic differentiation in HL-60 cells by 2-AP. Treatment of HL-60 cells with various concentrations of 2-AP (1-100 mu M) for 7 days showed the induction of granulocytic differentiation following both morphological examination and NET (nitroblue tetrazolium) testing (up to 40 and 52%, respectively), The expressions of bcl-2 and c myc were down-regulated during granulocytic differentiation of HL-60 cells (up to 40%). The immunoblots for G1 cyclins in the G1-S phase transition (cyclin D1 and E) showed a progressive decrease of their expressions in both concentration- and time-dependent manners (up to 30 and 50%, respectively). These results suggest that 2-AP could induce the differentiation of HL-60 cells and might have potent cancer chemoprevention and/or chemotherapy roles in human leukemias. (C) 1999 Elsevier Science Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.