S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Prognostic implication of 18F FDG-PET in patients with extrahepatic metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma undergoing systemic treatment, a retrospective cohort study
- Shin, Dong-Yeop; Han, Sae-Won; Oh, Do-Youn; Im, Seock-Ah; Kim, Tae-You; Bang, Yung-Jue
- Issue Date
- Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, Vol.68 No.1, pp.165-175
- Positron emission tomography; Standardized uptake value; Hepatocellular carcinoma; Systemic therapy; Prognostic factor
- The role of F-18 FDG-PET in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) has not been firmly established. We conducted this study to investigate the clinical implication of SUVmax on F-18 FDG-PET as a prognostic factor in patients with HCC, especially in the metastatic setting. HCC patients with extrahepatic metastatic lesions were enrolled that were evaluated by F-18 FDG-PET before palliative systemic therapy, between January 2002 and December 2009 at the Seoul National University Hospital. We retrospectively analyzed the clinical outcome and the value of the SUVmax. A total of 25 patients (men, 88.0%) were enrolled. The response rate and disease control rate was 18.2% (95% CI: 2.1-34.3) and 32.0% (95% CI: 16.3-56.5), respectively. The progression-free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS) were 2.3 months (95% CI: 1.1-3.4) and 14.2 months (95% CI: 9.1-19.2), respectively. The univariate analysis of OS showed that SUVmax and alphafetoprotein (AFP) were significant prognostic factors (P = 0.023 and P = 0.006, respectively). The multivariate analysis of OS showed that SUVmax and AFP were significant prognostic factors (P = 0.008 and P = 0.006, respectively). SUVmax and AFP were independent prognostic factors for PFS, too (P = 0.010 and P = 0.016, respectively). When the patients were divided according to the SUVmax and AFP, the patients with an SUVmax < 4.9 and an AFP a parts per thousand currency sign 400 ng/ml showed longer OS and PFS than the patients with SUVmax a parts per thousand yen 4.9 or AFP > 400 ng/ml (26.7 months vs. 9.3 months, P < 0.001 and 5.6 months vs. 1.7 months, P = 0.012, respectively). The SUVmax of the F-18 FDG-PET has a prognostic value for OS and PFS in patients with metastatic HCC undergoing systemic therapy. The combined analysis of the SUVmax with AFP might provide more detailed prognostic information.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.