S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Therapeutic plasma exchange in patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome: The 10-year experience of a single center
- Kim, Ji-Won; Kim, Inho; Oh, Kook-Hwan; Yoon, Sung-Soo; Oh, Myoung-Don; Song, Yeong Wook; Heo, Dae Seog; Bang, Yung-Jue; Han, Kyou-Sup; Han, Jin Suk; Park, Seonyang; Kim, Byoung Kook
- Issue Date
- Hematology, Vol.16 No.2, pp.73-79
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura; Hemolytic uremic syndrome; Thrombotic microangiopathy; Therapeutic plasma exchange
- Background: Therapeutic plasma exchange (TPE) has been used for the treatment of patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome (TTP-HUS). We report the 10-year treatment results along with the risk factors analyses. Methods: Retrospective analyses were performed on patients who were treated with TPE for TTP-HUS. Results: Fifty-two patients were included. Secondary causes were identified in 38 patients (73.1%). The others were classified as idiopathic. After a median five sessions of TPE, 26 patients (50.0%) achieved remission. Remission rate in patients with idiopathic and secondary TTP-HUS was 71.4 and 42.1%, respectively. Overall 30-day mortality rate was 34.6% and median overall survival was 5.2 months. Patients with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation-associated TTP-HUS did not respond and had poor overall survival. Males had a lower remission rate than females (P=0.009). Conclusions: TPE was an effective treatment in patients with idiopathic TTP-HUS. Treatment results were various according to etiology and gender.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.