S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Material Science and Engineering (재료공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_재료공학부)
Prediction of Permeability Tensor for Three Dimensional Circular Braided Preform by Applying a Finite Volume Method to a Unit Cell
- Kang, T. J.; Youn, J. R.; Song, Y. S.; Chung, K.
- Issue Date
- Comp Sci Tech 64 (2004), pp. 1629-1636
- Polymer–matrix composites; Computational simulation; Braiding; Resin transfer molding; Permeability
- Complete prediction of second order permeability tensor for three dimensional circular braided preform is critical to understand
the resin transfer molding process of composites which are especially composed of thick or complex parts. The permeability can be
predicted by considering resin flow through the multi-axial fiber structure. In this study, permeability tensor for a 3-D circular
braided preform is calculated by solving a boundary problem of a periodic unit cell. Flow field through the unit cell is obtained by
using a 3-D finite volume method and Darcy s law is utilized to obtain permeability tensor. The yarn is regarded as an impermeable
solid because flow within the yarn can be neglected if inter-tow porosity is relatively high. To avoid checkerboard pressure field and
improve the efficiency of numerical computation, a new interpolation function for velocity variation is proposed on the basis of
analytic solutions. Permeability of the braided preform is measured through a radial flow experiment and compared with the
permeability predicted numerically.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.