S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Neuroscience (뇌신경과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_뇌신경과학전공)
Ischemic preconditioning enhances neurogenesis in the subventricular zone
- Lee, S. H.; Kim, Y. J.; Lee, K. M.; Ryu, S.; Yoon, B. W.
- Issue Date
- Neuroscience. 2007 May 25;146(3):1020-31. Epub 2007 Apr 16.
- Animals; Antimetabolites/diagnostic use; Brain/*cytology; Bromodeoxyuridine/diagnostic use; Cell Differentiation/physiology; Cell Proliferation; Cerebral Infarction/pathology; Data Interpretation, Statistical; Fluorescent Antibody Technique; Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein/metabolism; *Ischemic Preconditioning; Male; Neovascularization, Physiologic/physiology; Neurons/*physiology; Prosencephalon/*physiology; Rats; Rats, Sprague-Dawley; Stroke/pathology
- Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) before subsequent prolonged ischemia is considered an emerging endogenous means of ischemic brain protection. We tested whether IPC induces endogenous neurogenesis in the subventricular zone (SVZ) and angiogenesis in the peri-ischemic area. Middle cerebral artery occlusion was administered to rats by filament insertion for 10 min (IPC) and/or 2 h (prolonged focal ischemia [PFI]). IPC alone increased 5'-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine (BrdU) (+) cells 2.5-fold in the SVZ compared with controls at 7 days. The numbers of BrdU/doublecortin (Dcx) or BrdU/neuronal nuclei (NeuN) double-labeled cells also increased, but extents of BrdU/glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) double-labeling in the SVZ were not different. The IPC+PFI group showed about a 40% reduction in infarct volume. PFI increased BrdU (+) cells in the SVZ, and this was greatly enhanced by IPC treatment. The number of BrdU/Dcx double-labeled cells was strongly increased in ischemic brains administered IPC. Differentiation into mature neurons was also enhanced at 14 and 28 days. In addition, IPC significantly promoted angiogenesis in the ischemic penumbra as indicated by von Willebrand factor (vWF) staining. Our results indicate that IPC enhances neurogenesis in the SVZ even without subsequent PFI, and also enhances neurogenesis and angiogenesis after subsequent PFI. We conclude that IPC confers neuroprotection, and also promotes endogenous neurogenesis and angiogenesis.
- 0306-4522 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.