S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Immunology (면역학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_면역학전공)
The additive effects of minoxidil and retinol on human hair growth in vitro
- Yoo, H. G.; Chang, I. Y.; Pyo, H. K.; Kang, Y. J.; Lee, S. H.; Kwon, O. S.; Cho, K. H.; Eun, H. C.; Kim, K. H.
- Issue Date
- Pharmaceutical Society of Japan
- Biol Pharm Bull. 2007 Jan;30(1):21-6.
- Adult; Alopecia/drug therapy; Apoptosis/drug effects; Cell Line; Cell Proliferation/drug effects; Dose-Response Relationship, Drug; Drug Therapy, Combination; Extracellular Signal-Regulated MAP Kinases/metabolism; Hair/*drug effects/growth & development/metabolism; Hair Follicle/*drug effects/growth & development/metabolism; Humans; Keratinocytes/drug effects; Male; Minoxidil/*pharmacology/therapeutic use; Organ Culture Techniques; Phosphorylation/drug effects; Proto-Oncogene Proteins c-akt/metabolism; Proto-Oncogene Proteins c-bcl-2/metabolism; Skin/cytology/*drug effects/metabolism; Vitamin A/*pharmacology/therapeutic use; Vitamins/*pharmacology/therapeutic use; bcl-2-Associated X Protein/metabolism
- Minoxidil enhances hair growth by prolonging the anagen phase and induces new hair growth in androgenetic alopecia (AGA), whereas retinol significantly improves scalp skin condition and promotes hair growth. We investigated the combined effects of minoxidil and retinol on human hair growth in vitro and on cultured human dermal papilla cells (DPCs) and epidermal keratinocytes (HaCaT). The combination of minoxidil and retinol additively promoted hair growth in hair follicle organ cultures. In addition, minoxidil plus retinol more effectively elevated phosphorylated Erk, phosphorylated Akt levels, and the Bcl-2/Bax ratio than minoxidil alone in DPCs and HaCaT. We found that the significant hair shaft elongation demonstrated after minoxidil plus retinol treatment would depend on the dual kinetics associated with the activations of Erk- and Akt-dependent pathways and the prevention of apoptosis by increasing the Bcl-2/Bax ratio.
- 0918-6158 (Print)