S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Immunology (면역학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_면역학전공)
MCP-1 and RANTES polymorphisms in Korean diabetic end-stage renal disease
- Joo, K. W.; Hwang, Y. H.; Kim, J. H.; Oh, K. H.; Kim, H.; Shin, H. D.; Chung, W. K.; Yang, J.; Park, K. S.; Ahn, C.
- Issue Date
- Korean Academy of Medical Science
- J Korean Med Sci. 2007 Aug;22(4):611-5.
- Aged; Asian Continental Ancestry Group/*genetics; Chemokine CCL2/*genetics; Chemokine CCL5/*genetics; Chi-Square Distribution; Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2/complications; Female; Gene Frequency; Genotype; Haplotypes; Humans; Kidney Failure, Chronic/ethnology/etiology/*genetics; Korea; Male; Middle Aged; *Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide; Promoter Regions, Genetic
- Macrophage infiltration has been observed in the renal biopsy specimens of diabetic nephropathy (DN), and hyperglycemic state stimulates the renal expression of RANTES (regulated upon activation, normal T-cell expressed and secreted) and MCP- 1 (monocyte chemoattractant protein-1). Upregulation of RANTES and MCP-1 with infiltrating macrophages may play a crucial role in the development and progression of DN. Genetic polymorphisms of RANTES and its receptors were reported to be independent risk factors for DN. We genotyped single nucleotide polymorphism (SNPs) in the MCP-1 G-2518A, CCR2 G46295A, RANTES C-28G and G-403A in 177 diabetic end-stage renal disease (ESRD) patients and 184 patients without renal involvement (controls) in order to investigate the effects of these SNPs on DN in Korean patients with type 2 DM. There were no differences in the frequencies of SNPs and the distribution of haplotypes of RANTES promoter SNPs between two groups. In conclusion, there were no associations of MCP-1, CCR2 and RANTES promoter SNPs with diabetic ESRD in Korean population. Prospective studies with clearly-defined, homogenous cohorts are needed to confirm the effect of these genetic polymorphisms on DN.
- 1011-8934 (Print)