S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pharmacology (약리학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_약리학전공)
Effects of the monomeric, oligomeric, and fibrillar Abeta42 peptides on the proliferation and differentiation of adult neural stem cells from subventricular zone
- Heo, Chaejeong; Chang, Keun-A; Choi, Hee Soon; Kim, Hye-Sun; Kim, Seonghan; Liew, Hyunjeong; Kim, Jeong a; Yu, Eunah; Ma, Jie; Suh, Yoo-Hun
- Issue Date
- J Neurochem. 2007 Jul;102(2):493-500. Epub 2007 Apr 30.
- Adult Stem Cells/drug effects/*metabolism; Alzheimer Disease/metabolism/pathology/physiopathology; Amyloid beta-Protein/*metabolism/toxicity; Animals; Cell Differentiation/drug effects/*physiology; Cell Movement/drug effects/physiology; Cell Proliferation/*drug effects; Cells, Cultured; Dose-Response Relationship, Drug; Lateral Ventricles/cytology; Male; Mice; Mice, Inbred C57BL; Nerve Regeneration/physiology; Neurons/drug effects/*metabolism; Peptide Fragments/*metabolism/toxicity; Polymers/metabolism/toxicity; Senile Plaques/metabolism/pathology; Spheroids, Cellular; Telencephalon/cytology/metabolism
- The incidence of amyloid plaques, composed mainly of beta-amyloid peptides (Abeta), does not correlate well with the severity of neurodegeneration in patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD). The effects of Abeta(42) on neurons or neural stem cells (NSCs) in terms of the aggregated form remain controversial. We prepared three forms of oligomeric, fibrillar, and monomeric Abeta(42) peptides and investigated their effects on the proliferation and neural differentiation of adult NSCs, according to the degree of aggregation or concentration. A low micromolar concentration (1 micromol/L) of oligomeric Abeta(42) increased the proliferation of adult NSCs remarkably in a neurosphere assay. It also enhanced the neuronal differentiation of adult NSCs and their ability to migrate. These results provide us with valuable information regarding the effects of Abeta(42) on NSCs in the brains of patients with AD.
- 0022-3042 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.