S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine (마취통증의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_마취통증의학전공)
Changes of bispectral index during recovery from general anesthesia with 2% propofol and remifentanil in children
- Park, Hye-Jin; Kim, Yong Lak; Kim, Chong Sung; Kim, Seong Deok; Kim, Hee-Soo
- Issue Date
- Paediatr Anaesth. 2007 Apr;17(4):353-7.
- *Anesthesia Recovery Period; Anesthesia, General/*methods; Anesthetics, Intravenous/blood/*pharmacology; Child; Child, Preschool; Dose-Response Relationship, Drug; Electroencephalography/*drug effects/*methods; Female; Humans; Male; Monitoring, Physiologic/methods; Piperidines/blood/*pharmacology; Predictive Value of Tests; Propofol/blood/*pharmacology
- BACKGROUND: The bispectral (BIS) index is a pharmacodynamic measure of the effect of anesthesia on the central nervous system. The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between BIS index and predicted plasma concentration of propofol delivered by target controlled infusion (TCI) during emergence in children. METHODS: With approval of IRB, 30 patients (2-7 years) were included in this study. Anesthesia was with TCI propofol 3-5 microg.ml(-1) and remifentanil 7.5 ng.ml(-1) to maintain BIS 40-60 and the propofol concentration was fixed at 3 microg.ml(-1) Remifentanil infusion was stopped 10 min before the end of surgery. BIS values were recorded after reducing propofol in decrement of 0.2 microg.ml(-1). BIS values were checked when spontaneous respiration occurred and children were able to obey a command (eye opening or hand grasping). RESULTS: Spearman's correlation analysis showed negative correlation between BIS and propofol plasma concentration (r = -0.559, P < 0.001). When respiration returned, mean BIS was 77.2 +/- 5.3 and propofol plasma concentration 1.6 +/- 0.3 microg.ml(-1) and when a verbal command was obeyed, BIS was 82.4 +/- 5.6 and propofol plasma concentration 1.5 +/- 0.3 microg.ml(-1). CONCLUSIONS: In preschool children, BIS moderately correlated with the predicted plasma concentration of propofol.
- 1155-5645 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.